With National Peanut Butter and Jelly day passing us on April second now is as good a time as ever to settle an ages old score: smooth peanut butter, or crunchy peanut butter?
Well, in a sheer numbers game, it would appear that smooth has crunchy beat — 49 percent of Americans prefer their peanut butter smooth, while 29 percent want theirs as crunchy as possible (and the rest have no preference), according to new research.
Smooth peanut butter eaters self-reported as being more introverted, while crunchy peanut butter eaters tend to be more extroverted.
The new study of 2,000 American peanut butter eaters found that for all their differences, peanut butter eaters agree on at least one thing: their peanut butter eating method. Sixty-three percent of respondents prefer to eat their peanut butter right out of the jar with a spoon.
Both sets of peanut butter consumers eat their spoon of nutty deliciousness — crunchy or not — about three times a week. That’s about 156 spoon dates with a jar of peanut butter a year. One in three Americans eat a spoonful as much as five times a week.
The new survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of the natural food brand Peanut Butter & Co., found that those who prefer smooth peanut butter arrive earlier to work than their crunchy counterparts.
That being said, crunchy peanut butter eaters are more likely to fall in love when they arrive — they’re 12 percent more likely to believe in love at first sight.
Keep an eye out for crunchy peanut butter in a love interest’s pantry — it’s apparently a sign of a true romantic.
Love isn’t the only thing crunchy eaters are open to — 67 percent are willing to eat smooth peanut butter every once in a while. On the other hand, 41 percent of smooth peanut butter eaters said they would never eat crunchy.
Smooth peanut butter eaters are:
- More introverted
- More risk-averse in their personal and work life
- More likely to avoid confrontation
- More likely to arrive to work early
- More likely to prefer staying in on a Saturday night
- More likely to be dissatisfied in relationship
- More likely to be rational with love
- Stressed out more easily
- Fans of The Big Bang Theory
- More likely to get more speeding tickets
- More likely to book a spontaneous trip and leave the same day
- More likely to bail on plans
- More hesitant
Crunchy peanut butter eaters are:
- More extroverted
- Bigger risk-takers in their personal and work life
- More likely to lean in to confrontation
- More likely to arrive to work late
- More likely to prefer going out on a Saturday night
- More satisfied in love life
- More likely to believe in love at first sight
- More goal oriented
- Fans of Game of Thrones
- More likely to have been skydiving
- More likely to run marathons
- More likely to compete in chess tournaments
- More likely to file taxes late
- More confident