While buying a home is the American Dream for some people, others just can’t afford it, or don’t want to bother with the responsibilities of owning their own place. And in some cases it actually may be smarter to rent than to buy, but of course that depends on where you choose to rent that home.
- Well, now WalletHub has come out with a list of the Best and Worst Places to Rent in America.
- They compared over 180 rental markets on 22 key measures in areas of rental market and affordability, and quality of life.
- They looked at things like the difference between rental rates and mortgage payments, the cost of living, job availability and more.
- With all that in mind, the site names Columbia, Maryland as the best city to rent in the U.S. with a score of 60.04 out of 100.
- Bismarck, North Dakota, fourth overall, is tops for rental market and affordability, while Portland, Maine is tops for quality of life.
Top Ten Best Places To Rent In The U.S.
- Columbia, MD
- Overland Park, KS
- Sioux Falls, SD
- Bismarck, ND
- Lincoln, NE
- Chandler, AZ
- Scottsdale, AZ
- Gilbert, AZ
- El Paso, TX
- Casper, WY
- On the flip side, Detroit, Michigan is the worst place to rent in the U.S., scoring just a 27.95, and ranking close to the bottom of the list for quality of life, and also pretty low for rental market and affordability.
Ten Worst Places To Rent in the U.S.
- Detroit, MI
- Memphis, TN
- San Bernardino, CA
- Cleveland, OH
- New Orleans, LA
- Columbus, GA
- Shreveport, LA
- Vancouver, WA
- Ontario, CA
- Augusta, GA
Click here to find out where your city falls on the list.