With so many beaches to explore in the United States, it can be hard to decide which one to visit. The results of USA Today’s 2023 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards for Best Beach in the U.S. can help you decide.
The folks at 10Best had a panel of experts nominate their 20 favorite beaches in three regions: the Northeast, the South and the West Coast. From there, 10Best readers ranked the 10 best in each region.
The winners are:
The Best Beach in the Northeast: Ocean City Beach in Ocean City, New Jersey. It tops the list thanks to its wide sandy shoreline of eight miles on the Atlantic Ocean and its family-friendly atmosphere. There are lifeguards on duty during the summer and the bustling boardwalk with dining, shops and entertainment offers a break from the sun and surf.
- Number two is Jones Beach State Park in Wantagh, New York
- Number three is Bethany Beach in Bethany Beach, Delaware
The Best Beach in the South: Clearwater Beach in Clearwater, Florida. Visitors love this white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico where they can enjoy water sports, beach games, live music and restaurants along the shore. Clearwater’s Pier 60 also has a daily sunset celebration with local artisans and street performers.
- Number two is Emerald Isle Beach in Emerald Isle, North Carolina
- Number three is Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Florida
The Best Beach on the West Coast: Oxnard Beach Park in Oxnard, California. This coastal park is lined with palm trees and has grassy dunes. “Possibly the most underdeveloped beach in California,” expert Kristen Lummis says. “Yes, there are private homes, but no vendors, no pressure, nothing but soft sand and rolling waves as you look west.”
- Number two is La Jolla Shores Beach in La Jolla, California
- Number three is Oceanside Harbor Beach in Oceanside, California
Source: USA Today