Animal rescuers in Britain said they have noted an uptick in calls to rescue "drunk" seagulls that apparently got into brewery waste.
RSPCA officers Jo Daniel, Clara Scully and Paul Adams said they have responded to more than a dozen calls in recent weeks about gulls exhibiting the same intoxication symptoms. The animal rescue charity said the birds are believed to have gotten into waste from a brewery or alcohol producer.
"We have had a number of these come through over the last couple of weeks," Daniel said. "We think they're gaining access to some brewing waste products somewhere."
"At first, the birds look like they have botulism but then, after vomiting, most seem to recover," she said. "The birds absolutely stink of alcohol when we collect them so now our vans smell like pubs!"