Parenting trends come and go and it’s really all about finding your own personal style and what works for you. But in the kid-rearing world, these trends are expected to be big in 2019.
- Authoritative parenting - These parents are more flexible and democratic, with a focus on balance. It’s kind of like the Goldilocks approach of not being too strict but not a total pushover and some of the common traits of the parenting style include having expectations for kids, but giving them the resources and emotional support to succeed, placing limits on behavior and being fair and consistent with discipline when rules are broken.
- “Raindrop” baby names - These are names that include soft consonants, like M, N, L, R, or Y and have two or more syllables into four or fewer letters, like Liam, Aria, and Emma.
- No more gender reveals - Having a big party to announce the sex of your baby is going to become a thing of the past, much to the delight of close friends of women who will be pregnant in 2019.
- Subscription everything - We’re talking subscription baby food, toys, diapers, and even a subscription service for postpartum recovery items new moms need.
- Grandparents-only photo sharing - The days of locking down an Instagram handle for your baby before they’re even born are ending and heading into 2019, parents are choosing to be more intimate and targeted about the photo sharing of their little bundles of joy. The photo sharing app Tiny Beans allows you to add specific people and post a pic a day with a caption and it even alerts grandparents when a new photo is added. Bring on those bathtub pics!
- Audio books vs. screen time - Pinterest reports that searches for “audio storytellers” are up 126% and audio books give parents a great screen time work-around. It’s not a screen, but it’s not mom reading a bedtime story again, and little ones can unwind and listen to a book at the end of the day. Epic! has a range of best-selling titles kids will love.
- Hands-free breast pumps - There’s a new wave of breast pumps and let’s be honest, anything beats the old ones. But these technological wonders slip under a bra and don’t need to be plugged in, so moms can walk around and live life while using them. Now that’s a game-changer.