Shenandoah County Public Schools
Short and Long-Range Plan for Coronavirus
NOTE: PLANS ARE BASED ON INFORMATION AS OF 3/16/2020
The situation with Coronavirus is rapidly changing. The following information is based on the best
information available at this time. It is also our intention to minimize risk of spread by
implementing practices of social distancing (remaining at least six feet from another individual and
avoiding situations where many people are assembled). Please continue to practice good hygiene by
covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, frequent handwashing, and if feeling bad,
avoiding contact with others.
● Schools will reopen for students on Tuesday, April 14. There will be no school events
(practices, competitions, Parks & Rec, or any other activities) through at least April 13).
● While schools are closed between now and April 3, we will be implementing a
work-from-home policy. This means that all staff are to remain available during normal
work hours for phone calls, respond to email, participate in conference calls, participate in
special education eligibility meetings, etc. No leave will be charged to employees until
further notice. Employees will continue to receive their pay.
● Though expected to participate in work-from-home, twelve-month employees should not
report to work through Friday March 27.
● The All-staff inservice will be Friday, April 3. This will be all staff including long-term
substitutes, drivers, paraprofessionals, teachers, all means all.
● At this time, no “makeup days” are anticipated.
Sponsoring or Participating in a Conference Call/Meeting:
Anyone sponsoring a conference call can use Google Hangout. Click here for instructions on
setting up a conference call with Google Hangout
To retrieve work voicemail from home: Call your outside line (Ex: 459-6222) As soon as you hear
your voice mail greeting, hit the * key. Follow the instructions to retrieve your voicemail.
Building Maintenance During Closure and Transportation:
● Buildings will be shut down through March 29.
● Maintenance staff will routinely check buildings during this time.
● In preparation for student return, maintenance and custodial staff will clean all buildings
April 6, 7, and 8.
● Transportation will manage routine bus inspections between March 30 and April 9.
Provision of Student Feeding Program:
● Food service will begin on March 19. Each middle school will have lunch available for
pickup at the loading bay between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday through Friday,
beginning March 19.
● Students must be present to receive a meal to go. We are unable to serve meals April 6
through April 13. Contingencies for this period are being planned and will be communicated
● Kitchen staff will handle trash and cleanup during the feeding program.
For additional food availability and donations, please contact the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank at
Continuity of Instruction:
● Teachers should continue to respond to email from students and parents as it relates to
● There will be a hiatus on testing for special education eligibility determination.
● Eligibility (SPED and GATE) meetings will be conducted electronically via Google
Hangout. SPED eligibility meetings scheduled for March 18 are rescheduled to Thursday,
March 26. SPED eligibility meetings scheduled for March 25 will occur as scheduled via
● Choice boards, from K-middle school, are available and should be shared with students.
Principals should arrange for hard copies to be picked up by anyone who may not have
● Teachers should have no expectation for online learning of new materials due to intermittent
access by students.
● Though not required, high school teachers may provide materials for review.
● Recognizing that not everyone will have wi-fi access, dual enrollment courses are an
exception. Teachers of dual enrollment courses should try to meet standards being
developed at LFCC, so may need alternative arrangements for students who do not have
access to online. Virtual Virginia has notified students of alternative arrangements.
● No assignments/work/activities are to be graded except for dual enrollment and/or
Virtual Virginia exceptions noted above.
● No homebound services will be provided from now through April 13, 2020.
● IDT services are cancelled and will resume April 20, 2020.
Payroll and Finance:
● Payroll will continue during the time of closure.
● Long-term substitutes and daily hourly employees will be paid during the period of closure.
● Bills will continue to be processed in finance so principals are encouraged to send payment
requests along. Mail service will run through March 16 and then not again until March 30.
Payment requests for March 31 must be submitted by March 23.
● Time sheets are due by Friday, April 3. Employees who are unable to submit a time sheet
are asked to take a photo of their timesheet and send the electronic copy to Jennifer Saeler
via email. If signatures from supervisors cannot be obtained, time sheets should still be sent
electronically to Jennifer.
● So as not to lose potential good hires, principals may move forward with hire
recommendations without face-to-face meetings with individuals.
● If students need to pick up things at school, they may contact their school principal.
● If a student has medication(s) in the school clinic they need to retrieve, they should contact
the school principal who will arrange for pickup and documentation.