A thread on Twitter has parents confessing the things they actually hate doing with their kids. Lucy Huber started it, tweeting, “This is a secret parent thread where we admit what we HATE doing with our kids.” She kicked things off by revealing, “I HATE playing Brio trains with my son. Mostly because I actually like building the train tracks but he just wants to boss me around and nothing I do is right. Also he takes all the good cars.”
These are some of the replies from other frustrated moms and dads:
- “Playing ‘ice cream shop,’ writes one mom. “My son’s imaginary ice cream shop never has any flavors in stock, except for one, which always changes and he makes me keep guessing flavors until he decides he has one in stock.”
- “Playing imagination games with my six-year-old is like taking notes from Kubrick,” another parent shares.
- “I hate coloring with my kids,” writes one mom. “They never put enough color on the page and they always get bored and scribble and meanwhile, I’m creating a fashion masterpiece on Elsa and one of them is just going to take a black crayon and draw a big circle over my work.”
- “‘Peppa Pig.’ My kid won't watch anything else. Believe me I've tried to put something else on but no,” offers a dad. “He must have watched the same episodes 40 times over at this stage.”
- “I hate slime and will always find an excuse not to have it in the house,” one mom writes.
- “My child never wants to play any game ever, she wants me to use my imagination and invent something new for her every time, or play Pokémon and invent a story for her, or do battles, or pretend she is a baby monster/Pokémon and I have to raise and train her, and I am tired always,” admits a dad.
- “I HATE reading ‘Owl Babies.’ I don’t understand why it’s such a famous book, I dont’ think it’s cute and always skip pages and rush through it,” shares one parent.
- Another parent writes, “Sometimes mine sits on the couch and asks me to play while he watches and I’m like…no??? Excuse me!???”