People love Costco for their deals, as well as their samples, but it seems not everything there is a bargain. Superfans of the warehouse chain are revealing the items that are priced a little too high for what they’re worth. These are the things they say you may be better off buying somewhere else.
- Produce - Frequent Costco shoppers say it’s not so much that the produce is overpriced, just that you buy such a large amount, you probably won’t finish it before it goes bad. And that happens, it’s like you’re just throwing your money away. On the Costco subreddit, one user points out that even if they could eat the fruits and veggies before they go bad, the sales at their local supermarket are more cost effective. Go Banking Rates tested this, comparing three pounds of bananas from Costco, which cost $2.48, to three pounds of bananas at Ralph’s grocery store, where they were just $2.07.
- Milk - Another user on the Costco subreddit shares that milk is always cheaper for them at Aldi, compared to Costco. When Go Banking Rates did their research, they found two gallons of 2% milk at Costco was $8.70, which is slightly more than the $8.58 the same two gallons of 2% milk cost at Aldi. And at Aldi, you don’t have to buy both gallons, like you do at Costco.
- Salmon - Kirkland Signature Fresh Farmed Atlantic Salmon Filets sell for about $16.16 a pound at Costco, but it’s only $9.99 a pound for Farm Raised Fresh Atlantic salmon filets at Ralphs.
- Chicken breasts - Stocking up on these may be cheaper at your local grocery store as well. According to another user on the Costco subreddit, “Chicken breast at Costco will be between $2.99 and $3.49 a pound, meanwhile Kroger had organic chicken breast for $2.79 a pound.”
- Toothpaste - This seems like something you’d get a better deal on at the warehouse store, but a Reddit user says it’s one of the overpriced items and Go Banking Rates agrees after doing the math. Costco sells 4-packs of Sensodyne Advanced Whitening Toothpaste for $31.99, but at Ralphs, a 2-pack of Sensodyne Extra Whitening Sensitive toothpaste costs $13.99. Two of those would be $27.98, making it cheaper for that similar product.