While some people insist they knew on their first date they had found “The One,” for most people it takes a bit longer. In fact, according to a new survey, the average person says it takes seven months of dating before realizing someone is “The One.”
Of course, once someone has determined they’ve found the person they want to spend the rest of their life with, the next step is the proposal, and apparently most men don’t make that decision on their own. The survey finds:
- 49% of respondents say their partner dropped little hints encouraging them to propose.
- 54% say watching TV shows or movies involving weddings or proposals is the top hint.
Other top hints include:
- Talk about others’ weddings/engagements (52%)
- Wedding magazines left out (50%)
- Partner forwards emails from jewelry brands (45%)
- Finance stopped to look at rings in a store (40%)
- Social media tagging (40%)
- Wedding invitations from family and friends (38%)
- Went ring shopping together (31%)
But it doesn’t seem folks are necessarily running out and getting a ring at the first sign of a proposal hint. Most people say it takes two months to find the right ring, with 60% saying they got some sort of guidance from their partner before buying the ring.