Halloween is still more than six weeks away, but it seems people are decorating earlier than ever. Lance Allen, senior decorative holiday merchant at Home Depot, says people used to wait until mid-October to haul out the decorations, but not anymore “Now, people are pushing it to the beginning of October and into September,” he says. “You can’t start too early.”
Before you start your spooky season decorating, check out these top trends in Halloween decor, according to Pinterest and Klarna data, as well as experts from major retailers.
- In: Witchcore - Searches for “Witchcore” are up by 1,566% on Pinterest, so we’ll see more cauldrons, crystals and floating witch hats this year. And of course, lots of “Hocus Pocus” items.
- In: Halloween wreaths - Klarna reports that purchases of “candle wreaths” increased by 193% in the last month, plus searches for “Halloween wreaths” are up by 1,100% since July.
- In: 12-foot tall lawn decor - You’ve probably seen Skelly, the 12-foot tall skeleton with intense LCD-screen eyes who’s been so popular, he sells out repeatedly, despite his $299 price tag. Retailers including Lowe’s, Sam’s Club and Home Depot report increased demand for super-sized skeletons, ghosts, werewolves and mummies this year.
- In: Luxury pumpkins - Nothing says Halloween like a few pumpkins, but this year, we’ll be seeing high-end gourds made of glass and ceramic. Klarna has seen a 302% increase in purchases of glass pumpkins, while Pinterest reports, “This is the year of black pumpkins.”
- Out: Rattan pumpkins - The boho, woven pumpkins that were big before are being replaced by sleeker ones in modern finishes.
- In: Floating candles and candelabras - TikTokers are creating displays where the candles look like they're floating, which are made using LED candlesticks with invisible thread attached to hang them at different heights from the ceiling.
- In: Theme Park-worthy animatronics - People are willing to shell out big bucks for hyper-realistic characters, like this 6-foot tall Michael Myers from Lowe’s.
- In: Skeleton animals of all kinds - We’ll be seeing a range of animal skeletons this year, including French bulldog, Piglet and even unicorns.
- Out: Witchy wine signs - You know the ones, they read something like, “Drink up, witches!” They had their moment and now it’s time to move on.
Read the article at PureWow